北密歇根大学
北密歇根大学
Northern Michigan University was established in 1899 by the Michigan Legislature as Northern State Normal School to offer teacher preparation programs in Michigan's then-wild and sparsely populated Upper Peninsula. When it opened in 1899, NMU enrolled thirty-two students who were taught by six faculty members in rented rooms in Marquette city hall. The original 20-acre (81,000 m2) campus site at the corner of Presque Isle and Kaye Avenues was on land donated by local businessman and philanthropist John M. Longyear, whose namesake academic building, Longyear Hall, opened in 1900.
Throughout the school's first half-century, education and teacher training was school's primary focus. During this time, the school built the native sandstone buildings Kaye and Peter White Halls, as well as a manual training school next to the campus buildings, J.D. Pierce School. Modest enrollment increases led to several name changes:
Northern State Normal, 1899
Northern State Teachers College, 1927
Northern Michigan College of Education, 1942
Northern Michigan College, 1955
In 1963, through the adoption of a new state constitution in Michigan, Northern Michigan was designated a comprehensive university serving the diverse educational needs of Upper Michigan. During this time, enrollment grew, due in large part to the 1957 opening of the Mackinac Bridge that links the Upper and Lower Peninsulas. Accredited undergraduate and graduate degree programs are offered by the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business, the College of Health Sciences and Professional Studies.
Graduate education began in 1928 when courses at the master's degree level were offered in cooperation with the University of Michigan.
收藏|RSS 积分: 0|群主: Eleven

管理成员

手机版|纳金网 ( 闽ICP备2021016425号-2/3

GMT+8, 2024-9-20 13:30 , Processed in 0.065418 second(s), 24 queries .

Powered by Discuz!-创意设计 X2.5

© 2008-2019 Narkii Inc.

回顶部